The Hotel Spichrz is situated in the centre of the Old Town, among other monuments of Toruń that are a part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Two – wing, four – storey granary built by Jan Noggen – a merchant from Toruń – is at present one of the biggest buildings of this kind in Poland. Over the years it served as a granary, military barracks and in 1823 the Prussian authorities converted the granary into a food storehouse for the army. The date is significant since that year all ceilings were replaced and new stairs and a roof were installed. The granary was connected with the tower (situated in a row of medieval defensive walls) by adding the so-called passage with a crane. The tower was also converted: the roof was changed into a gabled one, the crane with a huge treadmill and a beam to wind a transport rope were installed. With slight changes, the granary survived till the 1990s, serving in the meantime e.g. as an office.
In 1999, the present owners started renovation works. The restoration of the original arrangement of interiors, antique wooden beams, ceilings, the repair of the crane wheel and adaptation of the Swedish granary to the hotel and restaurant lasted to 2003 when the Hotel Karczma Spichrz was officially opened.
prizes and awards
- Mayor of the City of Toruń Award “Building of the Year 2003/2004” for restoration and conversion of a historical building;
- Chief Art Restorer Award “Well-restored Historical Building AD 2005” for renovation, restoration and adaptation of the Swedish granary with a crane tower;
- main prize in the all-Poland contest “Modernization of the Year 2003” in the category Hotel and Tourist Buildings for renovation and modernization of the Swedish granary;
- certificate “Gold Standard in Customer Service” in 2012;
- participation in the European Network of the Culinary Heritage of Pomerania and Kujawy, certifying the quality of traditional and innovative food promoting traditions of the region.
The Hotel Spichrz is situated at Mostowa Street , adjacent to the Gothic defensive walls of the Old Town, 250 metres away from the main pedestrian street in Toruń – Szeroka Street, opposite the Vistula River and Bulwar Filadelfijski Street – the most popular promenade in Toruń.
The Hotel is located in the immediate vicinity of the most tourist attractions of the city: 5 minutes walk from the Old Town Market and the Nicolaus Copernicus Monument, 3 minutes from the castle of the Teutonic Knights, 8 minutes from the Planetarium.
The Spichrz is a perfect place both for people visiting Toruń for business reasons and for tourists who wish to have the most important monuments in Toruń within walking distance. An additional asset of the Hotel is two car parks, one right next to the hotel, the other about 20 metres away from it.